Getting your own Genome
You can get the whole genetic map and sequences of you.
It means that you can store nearly everything about your genetic information in a PC.
However, the price for now it too high (about $300,000 in 2009). By 2012, the price will go down to around $1,000 USD. By 2016, the price will be below zero (i.e, you can sell your genome information if you want)
The Genomics recipe for having your own set of Genetic material : (Genome Sequencing Procedure)
1) Take small amount of blood from your body or spit saliva to a test tube.
2) Do sequencing after amplifying the amount of genetic material (i.e., your genome parts) using re-sequencing equipments.
3) Map the sequences to a reference genome and assemble all the genetic parts of your genome
4) Store the information in such a way that bioinformaists can analyze hundreds of aspects of your genome.
5) Applying bioinformatics software to find interesting things such as relatedness, geneology, disease susceptability, and visualizing the whole genome.
6) Finding critical information on yourself as a biological being.
There will be thousands of companies by 2010 that try to help you get and see your own genomes.